Thursday, January 15, 2009

Until We Reach Home and The Road Home Book Reviews

I've fallen behind on reviewing books (does anyone even care what I'm reading?) but I do want to share a little about these two. Even though the titles are similar they are by different authors and the stories are different--but both do involve a journey!

Until We Reach Home, by Lynn Austin, is the story of 3 Swedish sisters who come to America in search of a better life. They are orphans and believe they are going to live with their aunt and uncle in Chicago. They travel by train, ferry, and ship to Ellis Island, where they are detained due to medical conditions. I had never really thought much about what the people went through once they reached America and Ellis Island, so this was educational for me. They are finally able to get to Chicago and learn that their aunt and uncle did not intend to take them in. They must find their own way and, in the process, meet some interesting folks who teach them much about America, life, and the Lord. Lynn Austin is one of my favorite authors and this does not disappoint!

The Road Home was written by Tommy Tenney and Mark Andrew Olson. Their earlier collaboration, Hadassah: One Night with the King, was our book club book for January and it was excellent. This is also somewhat of a Biblical story, but it is set in modern times and chronicles the relationship and journey of Naomi and Ruth. I found it very interesting to hear a contemporary version. I did like the book, but I thin I would have rather read about the "real" story and the "real" setting better.

No comments: