Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inauguration Thoughts

Tuesday was a big day. Although Obama was not my choice (neither was McCain, really), I still love the pomp and circumstance of Inauguration Day. I thought Michelle looked awesome in her yellow suit, and the Obama girls were so sweet in their outfits! I also thought George and Laura looked very happy, relaxed, and relieved to be going home to Texas. I hope that one day folks will remember what a strong leader he was during the aftermath of 9/11 instead of the mistakes at the end of his presidency. I wish them peace, health, and happiness as they continue their lives.

I was struck by how emotional folks were toward Obama. If it is because he is the first African-American president, that's great. If it is because he is promising hope and change, I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I think what people are seeking right now is something that a man cannot provide. It isn't fair to put him under those kind of expectations. True hope comes only from Jesus. Only He can really change hearts. And real freedom only comes in knowing and trusting the Almighty. I had my cd player on random in the van on Tuesday, and this came on (emphasis are mine):


Lord, the light of your love is shining
In the midst of the darkness, shining
Jesus, LIGHT OF THE WORLD, shine upon us
Set us FREE with the TRUTH you now bring us
Shine on me
Shine on me

Shine, Jesus, shine
FILL THIS LAND WITH THE FATHER'S GLORY
Blaze, spirit, blaze
Set our hearts on fire
Flow, river, flow
FLOOD THE NATIONS WITH GRACE AND MERCY
Send forth your word
Lord, and LET THERE BE LIGHT!

1 comment:

Sarah Nash said...

Great post, Steph! How true it is. If we try to put all our hope in this man, we'll just end up disappointed and I'm afraid people will turn on him as well. Only Jesus never fails us!