Thursday, July 29, 2010

Brutally Honest Bible Stories?

So we have been busy lately. I have really been trying to get ahead in my planning for the class I teach at church for kids with special needs (Sparrows). I've been working on a unit about King David. I was telling a friend I thought I'd just avoid the whole Bathsheba thing. Then I started imagining telling that story to my class. And laughing. Rick and our friend Derik used to joke about starting a line of "Brutally Honest Greeting Cards". For example, a birthday card might say, "It's your birthday. You're older, fatter, and balder. Have a good one". So what about Brutally Honest Bible Stories? It might go something like this...

"Kids, Bathsheba was naked on the roof. David saw her. I want to teach you a new vocabulary word. Lust. And here's another one...premeditated murder."

Somehow I think that would not go over well with the parents.

But here is a brutally honest Bible truth I could share with them. David made bad mistakes. Really bad. But he served a merciful God and when he asked for forgiveness, it was granted. God took a flawed man and used him for His glory. He can do it for you, too.

1 comment:

Rick Whittington said...

You're doing such a great job with this class, honey. Great lesson for us all.